2020 General Election
2020 General Election - Election Day: November 3, 2020
SAMPLE BALLOTS are specific to the voter's precinct and party affiliation. When available, sample ballots can be viewed by visiting the NM Secretary of State's Voter Portal.
Absentee By Mail Voting begins Tuesday, October 6, 2020. In order to receive an absentee ballot by mail for the 2020 General Election, an Absentee Ballot Application must be received by the Clerk's Office prior to 5:00pm on Tuesday, October 20, 2020. Applications may be obtained in-person at the Chaves County Clerk's Office, mailed to voters by request by calling 575-624-6614, or submitted online at www.nmvote.org. Completed Absentee Voting Materials must be returned by 7:00pm on Election Day.
Absentee In-Person “Early” Voting will take place at the Chaves County Clerk’s Office at #1 St. Mary’s Place-Area D from 8:00 am–5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, beginning October 6 through October 31, with Saturday voting beginning October 17th, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Early Voting will also be available at the Roswell Mall, located at 4501 N. Main St, Roswell, NM; October 17 through October 31, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, Tuesday through Saturday (Closed Sundays and Mondays). Early voting at the Hagerman Joy Center, 503 E. Argyle, Hagerman, NM, will be Tuesdays and Thursdays only, October 20 through October 29, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Election Day - November 3, 2020 - Polls will be open from 7:00am - 7:00pm
Eligible Chaves County voters may vote at any of the polling locations, also known as voting convenience centers, listed below:
Roswell Mall, 4501 N. Main Street, Roswell, NM
Central Church of the Nazarene, 901 E. Country Club, Roswell, NM West Country Club Church of Christ, 700 W. Country Club, Roswell, NM
Roswell Museum and Art Center, 100 W. 11th, Roswell, NM
NM Game and Fish, 1615 W College, Roswell, NM
East Grand Plains Elementary, 3773 East Grand Plains, Roswell, NM
Chaves County Clerk’s Office-Area D, #1 St. Mary’s Place, Roswell, NM
Church on the Move, 901 W. Brasher, Roswell, NM
Dexter Central Office, 100 N Lincoln, Dexter, NM
Hagerman Joy Center, 503 E. Argyle, Hagerman, NM
Lake Arthur Schools, 700 W. Broadway, Lake Arthur, NM
To view or update Voter Registration Information online, visit: www.nmvote.org
Online and Mail Voter Registration will close for the General Election Tuesday, October 6 at 5:00 pm. In person Voter Registration at the Chaves County Clerk’s Office will close at 6:00 pm, Saturday, October 31.
Voters can update their registration information in the following ways:
• Visit the Chaves County Clerk's Office Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm;
• Request a voter registration application be mailed to you by calling, emailing, or sending a letter to the Clerk's Office;
• Online through the NM Secretary of State's Voter Portal: www.nmvote.org;
• Through other New Mexico County Clerk's Offices;
• Through a Third-Party Voter Registration Agent;
• At the MVD, Human Services Dept, libraries, colleges, universities, and voter registration drives.
Eligibility includes United States citizens who are:
1. A member of the active or reserve components of the army, navy, air force, marine corps or coast guard of the United States who is on active duty and who by reason of that active duty is absent from the state;
2. A member of the merchant marine, the commissioned corps of the public health service, the astronaut program of the national aeronautics and space administration or the commissioned corps of the national oceanic and atmospheric administration of the United States and who by reason of that service is absent from the state;
3. A member on activated status of the national guard or state militia and who by reason of that active duty is absent from the member’s county of residence; or
4. A spouse or dependent of a member referred to in Subsection A, B or C of this section and who, by reason of active duty or service of the member, is absent from the state; provided the spouse or dependent is an individual recognized as a spouse or dependent by the entity under which the member is serving.
The Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) is used so qualified service members and overseas citizens can register to vote and request an absentee ballot simultaneously. The FPCA registers individuals to vote and requests absentee ballots for all elections held through the next regularly scheduled general election. FPCA form can be found at: https://www.fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fpca.pdf
For questions regarding voter registration, absentee voting, polling places, or any other election related matter, please contact the Chaves County Clerk’s Office at (575) 624-6614.